For readers interested in learning more about how not to be labeled as registered sex offenders, a good first step is not to rape unconscious women, no matter how good your grades are. Regardless of the strength of your GPA (weighted or unweighted), if you commit rape, there is a possibility you may someday be convicted of a sex crime. This is because of your decision to commit a sex crime instead of going for a walk, or reading a book by Cormac McCarthy. Your ability to perform calculus or play football is generally not taken into consideration in a court of law. Should you prefer to be known as “Good student and excellent football player Trent Mays” rather than “Convicted sex offender Trent Mays,” try stressing the studying and tackling and giving the sex crimes a miss altogether.
—Mallory Ortberg, on Gawker
Mallory Ortberg, laying waste to fools on GAWKER, today, regarding CNN’s offensively lovey-dovey coverage of the two high school football stars who were convicted on Sunday of sexually assaulting a blacked-out drunk 16 year old girl from a neighboring town at a party, and then sharing pictures of her on the internet.
More details HERE.
I think it’s reasonable to say that, given the football culture of Steubenville, OH and the notorious difficulty of proving sexual assault even when the victim REMEMBERS WHAT HAPPENED, it is likely that what these jocks did to this other human would have become simply a dark part of Steubenville high school folklore, were it not for the digital trail of photos, tweets, and texts that the bystanders and assaulters themselves put out into the world.
SO THANK YOU, NERDS, FOR INVENTING SOCIAL MEDIA.
And thank you, Mallory and Manhattan snark-media for reminding some people—including CNN, apparently—what personal responsibility actually means.
That is all.
- renovaexler likes this
- 1-free-spirit likes this
- walklikethedead likes this
- emilione likes this
- thedivingpool reblogged this from thedivingpool
- impetuous-one likes this
- darkpixie10 reblogged this from solitaryshadowdancer
- gavinj23 likes this
- curious-earth reblogged this from victoria-q-nerdballs
- ourhospitality likes this
- agentalianovna reblogged this from daydreambeliever-homecomingqueen
- hippieloathechild reblogged this from wilwheaton
- hippieloathechild likes this
- smallswingshoes likes this
- 6stronghands likes this
- elinoriabluth likes this
- elinoriabluth reblogged this from genevievester
- daughterofmuses likes this
- tobewilder reblogged this from upworthy
- ixkey likes this
- tomjameson35 likes this
- spatel1992 reblogged this from brbshittoavenge
- thewidowwinchester likes this
- clairesalcedo likes this
- myturtlespeedy likes this
- confusedfriendliness reblogged this from raelee
- jabberwockary reblogged this from pi-rat
- cc-diaries reblogged this from upworthy
- findingmyreigninglory likes this
- thelittleshipsthatcouldtravel reblogged this from stuffimgoingtohellfor
- waylaidbyjackassery reblogged this from hodgman
- kittyramblesalot reblogged this from farrahtales
- sunsetlullabies likes this
- interplanetaryrobot reblogged this from wilwheaton
- bumblebeeloved reblogged this from the-fisher-queen
- sorefined likes this
- tobeaparagraph likes this
- jameswaterson1980 likes this
- detrea likes this
- psychologist54 likes this
- thetelephonewires likes this
- thetelephonewires reblogged this from tailsofamermaid
- tailsofamermaid reblogged this from hodgman
- dc-proper likes this
- howardmooncolonexplorer likes this
- aafrobeat likes this
- wyld-n-free reblogged this from joveawaits
- neruda33 likes this